XFCE does not keep the display settings after each reboot

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jun 12 21:44:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 18:57 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Tim<ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> >> I do not know why system-config-display was not installed by default.
> >
> > Because, now, with X system that needs no xorg.conf file, because it
> > always automatically correctly configures itself to suit your
> > automatically detected graphics card and monitor, there's no need for
> > you to have a control panel to manually set things up...
> >
> > Yes, I'm being sarcastic about how well it works.  But that's the
> > thinking behind it:  It should take care of itself, automatically.  So
> > why bother to include a package, by default, that you won't need.
>
> The point is that no xorg.conf was created before I installed
> system-config-display.
----
my understanding is that this is the intended behavior...to not create
an xorg.conf and build it dynamically at each startup. I gather the
thinking is that this will work for most people and be far less of a
problem if they switch hardware (i.e, displays, keyboards, mouse,
videocard, etc.).

Craig

believed to be clean.