HOWTO? Install TrueType fonts (not MS freefonts) onto Fedora 10

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Fri Jun 12 21:51:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:36:32 -0400
Ted Roche wrote:

> Can someone point me to a good resource or HOWTO on
> installing/converting a TrueType font to work in F10/X/GNOME?

The slickest way to install system-wide fonts on Fedora/Redhat/Centos is to
put them into an rpm.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/rpm.html

You can skip step 6.1(Step 1) in these instructions if you

"yum install rpmdevtools"

Then run

rpmdev-setuptree

That will create the rpmbuild directories in your home directory for you.

Just follow the rest of the instructions from 6.2 (Step 2) to the end and
you'll end up with a font rpm that you can easily install on as many machines
as you like.