Not Authorized error adding printer

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Jun 12 23:23:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:10:05 -0600
Frank Cox wrote:

> > I still can't log in as root from the GUI, but that seems to be by design...
>
> Correct.  It's not a good idea to do that.  If you really must do that for some
> reason (I've never found one, myself) look here:
>
> http://www.labtestproject.com/using_linux/step_by_step_how_to_enable_root_login_on_fedora_10

Or better yet, create the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file with the line:

DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

Then you'll be using kdm instead of gdm as a login manager, and not only
can you login as root, you can also edit the /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc
file and configure things like the X server startup arguments
which the morons who designed gdm apparently also believe is a bad
idea. (Of course you have to have kdm installed for this to work :-).

Note this is just the login manager. You aren't forced to use KDE,
you just get a better login screen.