VM questions

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 09:38:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 01:43 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> I have a dual Xeon 64 bit processor, which I don't believe has hardware VM
> support. Can I still run a VM machine in F11 with XP as guest OS? Which
> F11 disk should I download?

Could you post the output of $ cat /proc/cpuinfo?

In theory, if your CPU doesn't support Intel-VT, you could either use
plain qemu w/ qemu-kqemu (You'll have use the rpmfusion repository for
the kqemu kernel driver - without it qemu is more-or-less brain dead) or
revert to non-Fedora shipped VM solutions such as Virtualbox (good for
desktop virtualization; works OK on Fedora) and VMWare server (Bloated,
Bit*h to setup on Fedora [they only support RHEL], very problematic web
interface, good for server virtualization)

- Gilboa