Auto-installed HP printer not working due to missing hpijs

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Jun 13 11:19:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

while installing Fedora 11, my HP PhotoSmart PSC 2610 (USB+Ethernet) got
automatically detected and installed as USB printer. So far so nice and
shiny. Unfortunately, any attempt to print a test page results in a
failure, stating that foomatic-rip failed. No indication in any syslog
why and how it failed.

I then added the printer again as ethernet network printer in the GNOME
GUI, _there_ it said that this printer needs hpijs to work and that I
should install it.

Now, question is to which Bugzilla component I should log this problem.
As far as I can see, this problem is not a bug of a specific component,
but a systemic problem in that printers get auto-installed without the
necessary drivers being available in the base installation, and no
proper reporting done to the user about this fact.

Any clues how to proceed on that?

Best regards,
Daniel

PS: printer (USB and network) working fine after manually installing
hpijs and its dependencies.