Other host already uses address -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Jun 13 12:29:34 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> It's difficult without the ethernet connection, I would have to type it
>>> manually. but in addition to eth0 or 1 and lo, I also have an pan0?
>>> I do
>>> not show that on this "good" computer? I tried plugging in a PCI
>>> ethernet card but the "probe" function in the network setup GUI doesn't
>>> see it and if I try to connect it acts like the card is not there.
>>> However I see a different mac address in the ifconfig pan0 which I
>>> assume is the address of that second card. I think I made all the
>>> required entries network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 ...
>>>

>> Wait a moment - are you trying to bring up both eth0 and eth1 on the
>> same network? The pan0 is not the second NIC. I don't remember what
>> it is off hand...
>>
> No, I don't think I did that, just changed the config from eth0 to
> eth1 when I plugged in the NIC. I haven't turned that computer on yet
> this morning.
>> As far as moving messages from one computer to another when having
>> network problems, I find saving the output to a PEN drive, or flash
>> memory card and moding that to another machine works well. (Kind of
>> like the old "sneaker net" that consisted of moving floppies from
>> machine to machine... :-)
>>
> Why didn't I think of that? I didn't want to waste Cd's, and
> disinclined to re-enable the floppy drive, prolly disabled in all my
> computers that still have one, then finding a floppy that was any good
> ... But I do have a new thumb drive on my desk that my daughter said
> would not work on her MAC but worked fine on my Fedora stuff.
>
> The HP computer is even supposed to be able boot from USB ... even has
> jacks on the front. I will do that later after the sun comes over the
> edge ... will post the appropriate files.
>
> The smallest desktop I've owned since the Commodore 64, an HP dc5100,
> $99 used, looks new, from Discount PC, 2.8 gHz P4, CD drive, SATA hard
> drive. I have 2 gigs of ram installed, will install a larger hard drive.
>
> Bob
>> Mikkel

        I have another problem! The thumb drives are not being properly
        detected. They show up in lsusb are listed under Gnome "Places"
        but do not appear on the desktop? I believe they should show up
        under /media, ll or cd there results in "No such file or directory"

        I'm beginning to think I've found a computer that doesn't work
        with Linux? Is there such a thing ... If there is I would find it!

        Bob