Can't boot Live-XFCE

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 00:01:48 UTC 2009

I'm trying to boot an aged laptop (Toshiba Portege 3110ct) from a
Live-XFCE CD.
It gets stuck at various stages:
* normal (removed quiet and rhgb options): stuck at detecting EDD
* edd=off: stuck at "Marking TSC unstable due to TSC halts in idle"
* edd=off acpi=off: stuck at
 Running plymouthd
 input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input2

What's my next step?
I was able to install F8 onto this laptop, somehow (think I had to use a
netinstall CD)

Alternately, how do I start the install process from the Live CD if I'm
in F8? I tried mounting squashfs.img (failed) and tried unsquashfs
(failed: version mismatch).

Thanks