VirtualBox, Linux, ethernet question...

Giuseppe Fuggiano giuseppe.fuggiano at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:28:45 UTC 2009

2009/6/15 Yoram Halberstam <yoram.halberstam at gmail.com>:
> Ok, here is when Linux loose me! NEver had to comand line anything on
> Windows so thanks for hinting me toward the solution.

Command line permits you to control *every* aspect of your operating
system faster than you could searching, installing and learning to use
such buggy tools you find for Windows.

> I've tried the command and got
>
> [root at desktop eclipse]# VBoxManage modifyvm "desktop.lan" --bridgeadapter1
> eth0
> VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 2.2.4
> (C) 2005-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> All rights reserved.
>
> ERROR: Could not find a registered machine named 'desktop.lan'
> Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBox,
> interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
> Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]), machine.asOutParam())" at line 853
> of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp
>
> desktop.lan is what I get when I type hostname....

Learn to use the "man" command to understand how to use commands.

man VBoxManage

You'll discover that you must specify the virtual machine NAME.  If
you called your virtual machine "Suse" or "Suse 10" or whatever, you
have to use that name.

Type "ifconfig" command to discover the name of the ethernet interface
you are using.  Please look to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org), in
the Fedora wiki (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Project_Wiki)
or simply to Google for terms or concepts you don't know or
understand.

--
Giuseppe