VirtualBox, Linux, ethernet question...

Yoram Halberstam yoram.halberstam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:51:38 UTC 2009

Errrr.... At the risk of being shot I'll say that there a lot of smart and
easy thing on linux compare to windows, installing virtualbox and running
and general gui config are not one of them!

Thanks also, I may not be a wizz kid but I do go on google (and I wouldn't
be there if I found the answers)... anyway all of this to realise that I did
configure everything from the GUI already (I think). I prefer GUI than
command line ;-)

So now I used host -only and I used bridge... both work, (I realised  eth0
was disabled) - with vboxnet0 and eth1 respectively I can communicate back
to the host but not into the virtualbox Suse.... Any hint sir? (I've tried
ssh)

2009/6/15 Giuseppe Fuggiano <giuseppe.fuggiano at gmail.com>

> 2009/6/15 Yoram Halberstam <yoram.halberstam at gmail.com>:
> > Ok, here is when Linux loose me! NEver had to comand line anything on
> > Windows so thanks for hinting me toward the solution.
>
> Command line permits you to control *every* aspect of your operating
> system faster than you could searching, installing and learning to use
> such buggy tools you find for Windows.
>
> > I've tried the command and got
> >
> > [root at desktop eclipse]# VBoxManage modifyvm "desktop.lan"
> --bridgeadapter1
> > eth0
> > VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 2.2.4
> > (C) 2005-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> > All rights reserved.
> >
> > ERROR: Could not find a registered machine named 'desktop.lan'
> > Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBox,
> > interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
> > Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]), machine.asOutParam())" at line
> 853
> > of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp
> >
> > desktop.lan is what I get when I type hostname....
>
> Learn to use the "man" command to understand how to use commands.
>
> man VBoxManage
>
> You'll discover that you must specify the virtual machine NAME.  If
> you called your virtual machine "Suse" or "Suse 10" or whatever, you
> have to use that name.
>
> Type "ifconfig" command to discover the name of the ethernet interface
> you are using.  Please look to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org), in
> the Fedora wiki (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Project_Wiki)
> or simply to Google for terms or concepts you don't know or
> understand.
>
> --
> Giuseppe
>
> --