transferring a system/backing up with rsync

Andy Wang dopey74 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 20:54:47 UTC 2009

Hi all,
Relatively straightforward question I think.  I've been a long time
gentoo user (after running red hat for years and years) and got used
to just rsync'ing my system whenever upgrading hardware, and then
recompiling my kernel and reinstalling grub.  Then I usually rebuild
the entire system, reason why I do that is usually
a) break in the new hardware
b) make sure that all the symlinks timestamps are up to date since
symlink timestamps are not preserved.  If the package database thinks
symlinks have been modified (aka timestamp doesn't match) it doesn't
remove the symlink, which leaves alot of orphaned symlinks when
packages are updated.

Now, I'm a Fedora user and if I were do to do the same thing with a
fedora system, what are the ramifications?  Does the rpm database keep
track of symlink timestamps and do I need to worry about them
changing?

Thanks,
Andy