laptop battery died while upgrading using Pre-upgrade

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 17 01:46:49 UTC 2009

On 06/16/2009 07:16 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Globe Trotter writes:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know how to address this problem? My laptop battery died
>> while upgrading using Pre-upgrade. It was not connected. So what
>> should I do when I switch it on?
>
> Cross your fingers, and hope that your RPM database isn't fscked.
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Nope, you'll be flying by the seat of your pants. It's anyone's guess
> what state your system will be in. Chances are fairly good that you'll
> be able to boot, at least in run level 1, so you can get a shell prompt.
>
> Presuming that you can get a shell, the next step would be to assess
> the damage to your RPM database. Presuming that rpm --rebuilddb
> survives, the next step would be to run "rpm -q -a", and see what
> you've got.
>
> When rpm goes down in a middle of updates, the most likely result is
> that the rpm database will list both the old and the new version of
> each package, and you'll need to compile a list of them all, and
> manually remove the old version of each package.
>
> Been there, done that. It's not fun, but the only other option is to
> salvage the data, reformat, and reinstall.
>
> Once you manage to put your rpm database in a sane state, the next
> best thing to do is to forget preupgrade, and run F11's installer,
> which will clean up and finish the install.

I wonder if preupgrade keeps a log file of what it did up to the point
your battery died? I also wonder if it built a kickstart file and saved
to it incrementally? How about terminal output, was that saved anywhere?
I've never done a preupgrade, my preference is to do fresh installs and
then copy over the important data bits from my network. But I presume it
logs its progress somewhere? Or not? What I'm hoping for is that there
is a file somewhere that can be fed back to preupgrade which says: "I
was at this point a when the system died. I can resume processing from
here."

Bob