sha256sum is not my friend

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Wed Jun 17 17:24:05 UTC 2009

Around 06:14pm on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 (UK time), terry scrawled:

> steve searle
> The CHECKSUM file has both the name of the iso and its expected checksum
> > in it.
> >
> > So the command:
> >
> >         $ sha256sum -c Fedora-11-i386-CHECKSUM
> >
> > Causes it to look fat the iso in whose name is in the checksum file,
> > generate a checksum for it and compare that generated checksum against
> > the expected one that is held in the CHECKSUM file.
>
> No it does not!!!

It does.  You are nor reading what I said.

> Doing in a terminal   sha256sum -c  Fedora - 11 - i686 - Live - CHECKSUM
>
> ANSWER: no such file or directory. this dog won't hunt.
> is spacing of ( - ) important?

There are no spaces either side of the - between Fedora, 11,
i686i, Live and CHECKSUM.  Just look at what I wrote - you actually
quoted it in your email.

Fedora-11-i386-CHECKSUM is a file that you should have downloaded with
the iso.  So the command is:

sha256 -c somefilename

In this instance somefilename is Fedora-11-i386-CHECKSUM

You will need to be running this in the directory where the CHECKSUM
file and the iso are.

> ps. if you are in the mood tell me how to reply to one message without
> sending the whole digest

You have to change the subject and delete the unwanted lines.  There is
no magic way of making it look like you were replying to an individual
email.

Steve

--

 Play Champions - my free football predictions game at:
 	http://www.stevesearle.com/champs/about.html

 18:18:32 up 39 days,  4:42,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.04