how to disable tap from touchpad

linux media 4 linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Wed Jun 17 22:09:20 UTC 2009

François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I want to disable the possibility to "tap" on the touchpad in order to
> make a left click....
>
> It used to be the MaxTapMove option in InputDevice section of xorg.conf
> file. Now xorg.cong is so tiny that I don't know what to add and where
> to add it in order to configure the synaptics module.
>
> If somebody could help....
>
> Thanks in advance

This was a long thread a while back. I fixed a lot of tap related things
and kept all my notes.

These notes are specific to my mouse pad situation, so I hope they have
information you need for your situation...

It's important to mention that I don't have an xorg.conf file.

I'm also running Fedora 10.

Copy/Rename the FDI file...
cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi \
  /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptics.fdi

edit this file (11-synaptics.fdi) as indicated in the thread appropriate
section for your touchpad (you can discover which touchpad section by
'cat /proc/bus/input/devices')

--->>> Reboot

I added:
<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">On</merge>
(allowing 'on the fly' shutting on and off of features with 'synclient'
or 'gsynaptics')
<merge key="input.x11_options.TouchpadOff" type="string">2</merge>
(I think this means "turn off all touchpad except for the cursor")

You can also do:
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">0</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">0</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">0</merge>
(Disables mouse tapping with 1, 2 and 3 fingers)

I can still do:
synclient TapButton1=1
to turn one finger tapping on.
(=1 makes it act like a left button click)
(=2 makes it act like a middle button click)
(=3 makes it act like a right button click)