F11 problem: yum won't authenticate through HTTP proxy

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 18 11:56:30 UTC 2009

Delaunay Christophe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since my computer is behind an HTTP proxy requiring a so-called "basic
> authentication", I tried the following for yum to work:
>
> First, I tried to define the environment variables http_proxy,
> https_proxy and ftp_proxy to
> http://<my_user_name>:<my_password>@<my_proxy_hostname>:<my_proxy_port>.
>
> Although it worked just fine in F10, it doesn't anymore in F11. Why?

This is probably:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/484491

There is a problem with pythons URLGrabber module where it can't access
https content through an HTTP proxy.  In F11 the mirrorlist addresses
are HTTPS whereas in F10 they were HTTP.

The quick fix is to go into /etc/yum.repos.d and change all of the https
URLs in the .repo files to HTTP.  That worked on all of our systems.

Simon.