networking problem

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 18 23:20:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:40:57 -0700
Gerhard Magnus wrote:

> Does anyone know why this isn't working?

I do something similar to what you're doing, it works very well, and it's quite
simple to visualize once you know what's going on.

I have two Internet connections here in my theatre -- one DSL and one cable.  I
have a "regular" wired router on my DSL connection, a wireless router on my
cable connection, and one more wireless router in the lobby of my theatre
(because the signal from the wireless router in the back of the theatre isn't
strong enough to reach the lobby, and I use my laptop there while the show is
on).

I have all three routers on different IP addresses -- the DSL connection is
192.168.0.254, the cable connection is 192.168.0.1, and the wireless router in
the lobby is 192.168.0.253.

The WAN connector on the wired router is plugged into the DSL modem, the WAN
connector on the "connected" wireless router is plugged into the cable modem,
and the WAN connector on the wireless router in my lobby is plugged into
nothing.

One of my computers is set up to be a DHCP server, mostly for my laptops and
for "transient" machines that I put online here to set up for other people
and whatnot, and my desktop computers and fileserver have static addresses. I
can change which of my Internet connections any of my computers will use by
changing the default gateway (and the DNS server settings, because neither of
my ISP's allow connections to their DNS servers from "outside" IP addresses).
If I want to generally use one of my Internet connections "generally" but want
to access some particular IP addresses through the other Internet connection, I
can do that with either the route command or by using the routing tab on
system-config-network.

All of my computers (wired and wireless) can talk to and see each other on my
internal network, and can be used to log into the setup screens on any of my
routers.  Which Internet connection they use depends on their individual
gateway settings.  If the gateway is set to 192.168.0.1, it's on the cable
connection.  If the gateway is 192.168.0.254, it's on the DSL connection.