eradicating f11 anacron

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Jun 19 00:50:22 UTC 2009

As near as I can tell, the new and improved anacron
in fedora 11 has seized control of all the cron.daily,
cron.weekly, etc jobs. As a consequence, if you

yum erase anacron

None of the normal background cron processing will happen
(how convenient :-).

Here's my current formulae for eradicating anacron:

service crond stop
yum --disablerepo=* erase anacron
mv /etc/crontab /etc/crontab.orig
cp <old fedora 10 /etc/crontab> /etc/crontab
service crond start

Anyone see anything wrong with that? I guess I'll find out
tomorrow if my nightly backup runs.

If I had selinux turned on, it would no doubt throw some
kind of hissy-fit over the copied in crontab file, but
I don't have selinux turned on :-).