system-config-printer got stupid?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Jun 19 13:32:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:42:31 +0100
Tim Waugh wrote:

> Something apparently broke.  Which type of connection were you using,
> and where did you type in the IP address?

I was configuring two different network printers at work on my
fedora 11 box. One is using ipp, the other is an HP socket
connection on port 9100:

MakeModel Toshiba DP2570 Foomatic/Postscript (recommended)
DeviceURI ipp://129.134.60.18/ipp

MakeModel HP LaserJet 8150 Series Postscript (recommended)
DeviceURI socket://129.134.60.68:9100

The 129.134.60.* addresses are on different subnets, so
I'd expect to need to tell it the IP and choose the
connection kind in the 1st screen after I say "new network
printer", but the next page with the vendor list
just came up "generic" for both of them, and I had
to pick Toshiba and HP when configuring them.