Change Machine, No Sound (longish)

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 19 15:07:21 UTC 2009

stan wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 02:33:21 -0500
> Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded, untarred, and am reading.
>> So far, I don't see anything, but there's a lot there.

Thanks for the reply.

> You want to look in the directory alsa-kernel/Documentation.  That is
> where all the driver documentation is.  Well, the real documentation is
> in the source. ;-)

Yeah, I found both of those. Reading other people's code isn't
the most pleasant way to find out how stuff works.

>> Also, I note that /dev/dsp exists, but if I copy some file to it, no
>> sound comes out. I wonder if that's related.
>
> In the latest kernels, OSS is considered obsolete and no longer
> automatically installed.  You have to put the required modules into the
> /etc/modules.conf file.  This will probably break a lot of old
> applications.

I'm running an old kernel, but not that old. Not like 2.2 or 2.4.
I'm running a 2.6 kernel.

> You are running old kernels for which this shouldn't apply, but it
> might be relevant.
>
> It is possible that your application is trying to use true oss and is
> failing.  All current OSS is just alsa emulation, and so the modules to
> do that have to be installed.

Why would that configuration change just because the discs
were moved to different hardware? The software configuration
worked before. It's just on different hardware.

[how to pass in parameters to modules? modules.conf or modules.d?]

> Yes, in Fedora it would be /etc/modules.conf; in debian derivatives it
> will be /etc/modules.d/alsa

I've run Fedora on here for quite a while, but also had to
administer a Debian machine, so sometimes things get a little
muddled after not having to do a certain thing for a few years.

>> [...]
>>
>>> You could also run the script below and post the link or run with
>>> option (I think it is) --with-noupload and post the output so
>>> people can see what your system configuration is.
>>>
>>> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
>> I ran that script, and captured the output, but it's nearly 800 lines
>> of stuff, and not suitable just to post. However, if anyone knows
>> how to interpret it, and can help, then I can subset out what is
>> useful. At least these parts seemed useful:

[snippy]

>> [more stuff listed but cut, anyway, it seems to have found it]
>
> It shows all the sound modules that are loaded.  You can deduce from
> that whether the OSS stuff is there or not.

ALSA is getting invoked, and then complaining it has a broken
pipe. I wonder why? I also tried running mpg123 with the specific
switch to force it to use ALSA interface, with no change.

> The parts that are present seem to indicate that everything is
> identified and functioning correctly.  No joy.

You see, that's the conclusion I was drawing: Everything I knew
to check looked like it had been loaded and initialized, but
still no sound.

I did also check the "taskbar" speaker volume, and it's not a
problem with muting the sytem.

I'm surprised that there is something that kudzu didn't figure out.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.