Kernel 2.6.30

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 16:18:23 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 6/19/09, stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:

> From: stan <gryt2 at q.com>
> Subject: Re: Kernel 2.6.30
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 7:20 AM
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:44:52 -0400
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm going to assume that question is for the O.P. and
> pass on it.
> > Fedora kernels are not kernel.org kernels, there are
> patches applied,
> > so there is at least some justification for starting
> with a Fedora
> > source. I wish there was a tool to scan the hardware
> installed (or
> > modules loaded) and generate a minimal kernel config
> supporting just
> > what's needed on a given system. Like "make
> localconfig"
> >
> Second this.  That would be great.  I dropped the
> size by 90% for a
> time by eliminating unneeded functionality, then some
> change came along
> that made my config file unstable, and I couldn't get
> back.  This seems
> to be a problem generally, that there is a lot of
> dependency between
> options that isn't clear.  A tool to create a "custom"
> kernel would be
> excellent.  I suspect it would be a lot of work to
> create and maintain
> though, especially at the rate the kernel changes.
>
> --

I agree with Bill and with you Stan on this.  There might be scripts out there that can generate a config about one's hardware.  Then we could use this config to make our custom kernels.  Maybe the source based distros like Arch, Gentoo, Source Mage have this???   It is an excellent thought that if there exists such scripts would make our lives easier and make compiling times faster :)

Regards,

Antonio