networking problem SOLVED

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Jun 19 17:14:48 UTC 2009

> > Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > > I recently added a D-Link wireless router to a network in which
> > > everything (except a new netbook computer) is connected by ethernet
> > > cables. I also use static addresses. Here's the setup:
> > >
> > > DSL modem --> Linksys router --> D-Link router --> wireless netbook
                    (192.168.1.1)      (192.168.1.2)
> > > 		    -----------> eternetted computers
> > >
> > > Using a browser on the netbook I can access configuration menus for both
> > > routers, which seems to indicate that the wireless network was set up
> > > correctly and that the cable between the two routers is working.
> > >
> > > I cannot access the configuration menu of the DSL modem from the
> > > netbook, although I can do this from any of the other computers.
> > >
> > > Consistent with this, I cannot access the Internet from the netbook,
> > > either with named or with IP addresses.
> > >
> > > If I connect the netbook to the Linksys router with an ethernet cable I
> > > can access the Internet without problems.
> > >
> > > In configuring the D-link modem I followed the instructions for
> > > connecting to another router in the manual: disabling UPnP and DHCP and
> > > changing the D-link's LAN address to an available address on my network.
> > > I also used a LAN port on the D-link (not the Internet/WAN port) to
> > > connect the D-link to the Linksys, as instructed.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know why this isn't working?
> > >
> > > If this problem is too off-topic for this group I would appreciate any
> > > suggestions of where else to look.

On the netbook, I reset the Gateway from 192.168.1.2 (the IP address of
the D-link router) to 192.168.1.1 (the IP address of the Linksys
router.) It seemed counterintuitive at first and is still a bit
confusing to me. Is the D-link functioning more as a switch or hub? Is
it true that the "gateway" to a network doesn't have to be the first
equipment in the line of a connection?

Anyway... thanks to everyone on this list who responded to this question
-- the posts helped me to think about the problem in different ways and
the tangential comments, in addition to being interesting, expanded my
imaginative context for networking in general.

Linux, with its incredibly steep learning curve, simply would not work
without communities like this list.

--Jerry