Kernel 2.6.30

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jun 19 18:17:57 UTC 2009

john wendel wrote:
> On 06/19/2009 06:10 AM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> BTW,
>> If kernel.org releases 2.6.30.1, Are there any delta *.tar.gz's that
>> one can download instead of downloading
> the full kernel source again to update to 2.6.30.1?  I have been
> yearning to ask this question, but never had the
> courage or the determination to do so.  I generally follow Fedora
> kernels, but sometimes I get eager to run
> the latest and greatest.  I run rawhide too, but they are at
> 2.6.30-6.fc12.  Someone told me that there were patches
> that one could download and recompile to get the latest version, but
> they don't tell me how and there does not seem to
> exist documentation as to how to do it.  All of this in case Fedora
> stays a little bit behind, they are doing the right
> thing though testing and making sure that the kernels work :), and that
> the changes upstream do not affect the endusers in a bad way.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Antonio
>
> How to patch the Linux kernel
>
> Download the latest patch file for the kernel you're running - You'll
> see it on the kernel.org website.
>
> Put the patch file in the directory with the original, unpatched kernel
> source. Run "make mrproper". Run bunzip to uncompress the patch file.
> Run patch -P1 < "patch-file-name"
>
> Now your kernel is patched to the latest version. Do your kernel build.

Having done a full clean, you need a config file, so 'defconfig' or 'allmod' or
whatever is appropriate. If I have built a config with the crud out, I generally
save the config (or just make clean) and then make the config to set any new
options.

Very much why I want to have a tool to build only the modules I need, even on a
four CPU system with big memory and fast disk a full build fails the breath test
(can you hold your breath while it builds).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>