Output of "yum list installed"

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 20:28:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 14:38 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I notice that some lines in the output of "yum list installed" are
> > highlighted in red. There doesn't seem to be any mention of this in the
> > manual. Does anyone know what it means?
> >
> > Highlighting is useful as a visual clue, but if the info is meaningful
> > it should also be indicated in such a way that a filter could use it.
> >
> I believe those are the packages for which updates exist.

Updating my system made no difference to the set of highlighted
packages, so that's not it.

My theory is that they are installed packages which aren't in the
currently-enabled repos. Many of them are debug-info rpms, some others
are clearly obsolete (F9 and F10), and the remainder look like they were
installed manually (opera.x86_64 for example). I'll need to verify this,
but I guess I'll report it as a documentation bug for now.

poc