F11 Java Graphics issue

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Fri Jun 19 20:11:36 UTC 2009

I just installed a fresh Fedora 11. I am running the NVIDIA driver
(Twinview mode, not Xinerama), and an application that worked in the
past that uses graphics (draws circles, arrows) now is unusable. When
trying to interact with the graphics (drag, etc), the Java task shoots
up to 60-90%. The larger I make the window (regardless of the same
amount of graphics), the slower Java + xorg is. I went so far as to swap
video cards without change (from Geforce 7 to Geforce 8 series).

All this stuff worked fairly snappy under Fedora 10 under VMware. For
Fedora 11, I have installed natively, and the native environment is dual
headed. Does anyone have any pointers on where to look? I can run the
glxgears program and get 15000fps or so.

Could this be related to the included 'openjdk'? I installed Netbeans
for my Java development and by default it uses openjdk. Is this
different than the JRE from Sun and could it have poor performance in
the graphics area?