Baffled by a Cable Modem

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 19 20:45:55 UTC 2009

On 06/19/2009 01:38 PM, g wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>

>> On the Cable Modem find the reset button and push on it and do a reset. This
>> will clear out any previous MAC addresses and it will accept new MAC numbers.
>>
> you failed to mention, it will/may/can/might/probably cause a reset of all
> configurations.
>
> wherein, he will need to find ip address of modem with web browser, reenter
> all modem setup that is not default, including having password to access user
> id setup, firewall, etc.

Will he may have no choice, if that cable modem has a another MAC # it
will prevent the cable modem from connecting to his router or computer
until it can accept a new MAC #.
I have seen that problem happen in a Comcast and At&T cable modem.
As far as connection, if he is using DHCP, the cable modem will get a
new IP and so will his computer. All he has to be sure of is in
resolv.conf, that the Namesever is set up properly.