F11 fix for sound on Intel HDA machines ?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sat Jun 20 05:00:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 21:58:08 -0600
Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So I installed kernel-devel using yum.
> > >
> > > I downloaded and unpacked alsa-driver 1.0.20.
> > >
> > > I did a $./configure, $make and #make install.
> > >
> > > I rebooted.  I set all the levels to max.
> > >
> > > Still no sound.
> > >
> > > I did not build alsa-lib or any of the other alsa components.
> > >
> > > What should I do next ?
> > >
> I removed it and still no sound.

Run the script below and look at the link or run with
option (I think it is) --with-noupload and save the output locally.
This will tell you the maker and model of your HDA-Intel chip (and a lot
of other potentially useful information for troubleshooting). You could
post it here so people can see what your system configuration is as
well.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

Once you've done that, look in the alsa-kernel/Documentation section of
the drivers you compiled.  Do a grep -i of the files there for mention
of your chip name, or pieces of your chip name.  That might give you
some more options to try, like different model numbers to use with the
modprobe.

It truth, HDA-Intel is a problematic standard because of its extreme
configurability.  There seem to be no end of problems with those
chips on linux systems.  I've seen suggestions that the design was a
deliberate attack on open source sound and drivers, made tongue in
cheek but with some justification.  An alternative to consider if you
can't get it working is that you might just pick up a cheap standard USB
card or PCI card. All that said, if you do get it working, HDA-Intel can
work very well.  And fixes go into alsa every day, so what doesn't work
today might next week.  This especially applies if your chip is very
new as there won't be a driver for it until a developer figures out the
pin configuration.