this is why I hate changing Fedora versions

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sat Jun 20 21:37:18 UTC 2009

I had a good F7 version that did pretty much everything I wanted. But
it was no longer getting updates and I thought that since my ATI1600
video card was being dropped by ATI, maybe I had better upgrade. Then
when I install the Sapphire 4770 card I will get updates and if I'm
reading my mail correctly there is likely to be good open source
support for the 3D graphic capabilities in the near term. Fine. So I
switched to the new HD and installed F11 x86_64 fresh. The sound
doesn't work. OK, what about muting? yes? Yes. The sound was muted by
default. So I unmuted it. Still no sound. Go to System -> Preferences
-> Advanced Volume Control. no joy. Check the plug on the back of the
box, is it plugged in? yes. To the right little hole? yes. Just where
it was when I switched and it worked then. Volume turned up on the
speakers? yes. Don't know what else to check. The card is a little
Ensoniq Sound Blaster compatible I've had for years. I don't do any
tricks with it, just play tunes.

I now remember going through this little dance two years ago or so
when I went from FC5 to F7. Isn't it brain dead to ship a distribution
with the sound muted by default?

Apart from Ubuntu, does anyone have a suggestion where else I can look
to get things working? The system _thinks_ it's working, kplayer chugs
through Sweet Home Chicago just as if it was doing something useful,
but no tune.

Dave

--
In the world?s anti-Bush zones it is fashionable to regard him as an
imperialist