F11 fix for sound on Intel HDA machines ?

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Jun 21 04:50:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 18:05 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 17:59 -0700, stan wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:50:35 +1000
> > Danny Yee <danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> > > Thanks for your help!
> > >
> > > I pulled the 1.0.20 alsa RPMs out of testing and rebooted.  That
> > > didn't help immediately, but once I removed pulseaudio everything
> > > seems to be working (Mozart's Clarinet Concerto is playing as I type).
> >
> > Whatever works!  Though I can't make a plausible connection of how
> > those two facts lead to sound for you.  :-)
> ----
> sure - pavucontrol probably needed to increase the output volume.

This may be slightly off the topic...
...but I did Applications -> Sound and Video --> PulseAudio Volume
Control -> Input Devices... and there was my USB PnP Audio Device, and
when I clapped my hands its horizontal bar meter responded in a way
indicating the volume of the sound I had made. This was the first time I
had interacted with PulseAudio in a meaningful way. PulseAudio -- who
would have thought it possible!