Client connect to NFS server as user?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jun 21 18:14:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 10:51 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Mike Chambers wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 12:27 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> >

> >> but the truth is that using automounts such as /etc/auto.home
> >> or /auto.misc is even better
> >>

> > I wanted to use auto mounts before myself, but the one problem I ran
> > into, was if the directory wasn't mounted, and I wanted to download a
> > file off the internet (via firefox, or even an ftp gui) and onto the nfs
> > share, it wouldn't be accessible.  I would have to get access it or
> > whatever to get it to mount/appear and then download.  So I use fstab to
> > perm mount it.
> >

> I'm still trying to mount as user "bobg" without success! 192.168.1.48
> is the server, 192.168.1.9 is a client and in the "box9" client I have
> the following lines in /etc/fstab:
>
>     192.168.1.48:/home      /home/NFS-files         nfs
>     rw,users        0 0
>     192.168.1.9:/home       /home/NFS-files         nfs
>     rw,users        0 0
>
> I'm not certain both are required but when I su to root everything works
> as expected. As user "bobg" I get the following:
>
>     [bobg at box9 ~]$ mount.nfs box48:/home/NFS-files  /mnt/home
>     mount.nfs: permission denied: no match for /mnt/home found in /etc/fstab
>
> /mnt/home is the directory on the client where the server files should
> appear ... If it works as root it seems it should work as user with the
> above lines. Obviously I have missed something.
>
> Help needed, an example of a working line would be great.
>
> Bob
----
does /mnt/home exist? if not... 'mkdir /mnt/home'

can users 'write' to /mnt/home? if not 'chmod 777 /mnt/home'

both client and server should be running portmap service...

/sbin/service portmap restart
chkconfig portmap on

Firewalls will be a problem and if you are running a firewall on the NFS
server, let us know and we will give you a way to deal with that.

Craig

believed to be clean.