Anyone got F11 NIS working?

Andy Wang dopey74 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 23:00:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Clint Dilks <clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz>wrote:

> Hi, I haven't followed all of this Thread but I can confirm NIS works for
> F11 here.  My Particular config is SELinux Disabled (Note that with NIS
> there is a difference between disabled and permissive) and I believe I was
> seeing what you see when I was using NetworkManger to control networking
> when a system booted it couldn't bind to a ypserver until I logged in and
> restarted the service.  I tried experimenting with when yp started and even
> added a line to rc.local to restart the service.  This made no difference.

What's the difference between disabled vs permissive for NIS?  I'm using
NIS, and running on SELinux permissive and it works fine.  If a
NetworkManager network isn't set up to automatically connect to a network
and have it configured as "Available to all users" (i.e. a systme wide
network setting) the NIS service will time out when ypbind tries to bind and
fail, which makes sense because during boot, there's no network address.  If
you log in, allow NetworkManager to connect, then run ypbind it'll work
because you actually have a network for ypbind to search for it's server on.

So simple solution, as your user enable "connect automatically" and
"available to all users" in the network manager configuration and it should
work.  Another problem may be if for some reason the ypbind service starts
before the network manager service.

If that doesn't work for you, then I'd suggest you disable network manager
completely, and use the old system-config-network network configuration, as
that should create a system wide network profile that is activated upon
boot.  With Fedora 10, I had to do that as I was never able to get system
wide networkmanager profiles working.

Andy