Third release in a row - sound works at release, die after "upgrade"

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jun 22 19:15:56 UTC 2009

For the third release in a row, a release which worked for recording from line
or microphone at the initial release has stopped after installing the first
round of updates. Is working sound input considered a bug which must be stamped
out quickly?

I looked at the alsamixer, the advanced mixer, the PA volume, nothing has
changed except that no sound is recorded. Tried, sox, tried sound recorder,
tried tried audacity, nothing gets any signal.

Also, the ability to select output mode vanished, at install I had mono, 2ch,
5.1ch, surround, 7.1ch, etc. Now I have no choices, obviously someone made the
user interface simpler to avoid all those confusing choices.

I would be less pissed-off if this weren't the third release in a row where this
exact thing has happened.

No, I didn't supply details, I'm am tired of constantly fighting with three
mixers and volume controls and zero useful documentation. If no one in the
project can see that having alsmixer, advanced mixer, and retarded (PA) mixer is
complexity worthy of the 70's, then I have to think that the distribution is for
hackers only, Fedora sound input seems best suited to mimes. Clearly Fedora is
not (or no longer) for people who want to use their sound system instead of
configure it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>