Change Machine, No Sound (longish)

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 23 02:27:17 UTC 2009

stan wrote:

Thanks for replying again!

> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:27:21 -0500
> Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> stan wrote:
>>> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:22:59 -0500
>
>>> When I looked at my file, I realized I've been giving you bad
>>> information.  The file in /etc is modprobe.conf, not modules.conf.
>>> Here is how you set it
>> Hmm, mine looks a little odd...
>>
>> $ cat /etc/modprobe.conf

[...]

> I'll say.  I think you could reduce it to:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> card options snd-via82xx index=0
> alias eth0 via-rhine
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

I'll copy it off and give that a try. I'm not familiar with the
format of that file. I think I'll give $ man or $ info a try.

> But I'm not sure of the purpose of all that intel8x0 and via82xx sound
> module messing about.  Your card still seems to be recognized properly
> below though.

I'm not either. It could be a "leftover" from the previous hardware.

[...]

>> It looks like it found the "card".
>
> Yes it does.

[...]

> By every indication, you should have sound.  If you have pulseaudio
> installed and enabled, it could be causing the issue.  It might be as
> simple as turning up the volume in pulseaudio.  I am not knowledgeable
> about pulse, so for more information you can go to
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/

$ rpm -qi --provides pulseaudio
package pulseaudio is not installed

As I said, the software configuration I had was working, and I haven't
messed with it except to allow kudzu to remove the config for the
old stuff, and install the new.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.