two F11 issues

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Jun 23 10:35:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 02:41:51PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
> On 06/22/2009 11:55 AM, fred smith wrote:
> >2) printing anything to my Brother HL2070N laser printer prints only one
> >line of garbage at the bottom of the page, then nothing else. Or else the
> >job sits in the queue forever without printing....
>
> Same problem here with that printer on my little network. It was working
> perfectly for me in f9 using ipp and the hl1250 driver.
>
> I could never get it to work with f11--same results you describe. The
> wedged state seems to accompany a driver problem of some sort: I get
> cryptic errors saying "/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp failed' in the printer
> config dialog, or "[Job 12] Job stopped due to filter errors..." in the
> CUPS log.
>
> The only way I got it to work was to install the driver and lpd bridge
> from the Brother Linux support site. Not a very satisfying solution, and
> there are still glitches with it (routine, erroneous "paper out"
> condition), but at least I can print again.
>
> I don't feel like I understand enough of what's happening or what's
> /supposed/ to happen to even file a useful bug report--which is now the
> case for huge chunks of desktop Linux, but that's a whole 'nother whine.
>
> <Joe

Joe:

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if anyone has filed a Bugzilla against this problem?

I was digging around on the Brother web site last night, after reading
your mail, and couldn't find any mention of Linux. They certainly used
to have Linux drivers, but I couldn't find anything. Do you suppose
they've backslid on their Linux commitment? or is it hiding somewhere
else?

Once again, thanks for replying!

Fred
    community.