Printing over network from VirtualBox [SOLVED]

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jun 23 23:05:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 23:57 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
 > Has anyone figured out how to create a printer instance to print from a
 > VirtualBox WinXP guest (on F10) to a network attached printer?
 >
 > The docs did not help, nor did google. One 'answer' stated to enter
 > //servername/printers/myprinter as the URI, with the implication that
 > servername is the host computer the printer is connected to, and
 > 'myprinter' is some descriptor of the actual printer.
 >
 > This seems a little disconnected when dealing with a network capable
 > printer (all puns intended).
 >
 > In F10 my printer is called Netprinter2 and accessed as
 > lpd://192.168.1.12/dummy (It's an HP3955 MFC). Various combinations of
 > this info produced only an error box to the effect that Windows could
 > not find a printer...
 > Can anyone help?

Recap: Host computer is Fedora 10, guest is Windows XP
The problem is to create a network printer instance inside the guest.

Answering my own question:

There are TWO DIFFERENT routes to getting printing working depending
upon how the printer is connected to the network: that is, what sort of
print server it is attached to.
If you can access the server using http://192.168.1.11:631, follow #1
below. If you access the server without adding a port, then follow #2.

***************************
#1) Attached to a print server using cups/lpd/lpp

Use the 'network printer' option in the Printer Wizard.
For my HP-1320 LaserJet connected using an SMC one-port print server.
The server interface is http://192.168.1.11:631 and the device URI in
Fedora (host) is lpd:192.168.1.11/dummy.
The WinXP guest printer uses:

http://192.168.1.11:631/SCED4C99
where SCED4C99 is the internal 'name' of the print server.

You end up with a TCPIP port 'named' http://192.168.1.11:631/SCED4C99
and a printer named 'unknown on http://192...etc. (there seems to be no
way to name this printer).

***************************
#2 Attached to a print server using hplip or some other method.

Do NOT use 'network printer': use 'Local Printer' and create a TCPIP
port for this printer. Under Fedora this printer shows up as
'socket:192.168.1.12:9100' and the browser interface to the server is
accessed directly with http://192.168.1.12.

Since my HP LaserJet MFC 3055 uses tcpip port 9100, I created a port
9100 and configured the port settings to 'RAW' (not LPD). You can name
this printer whatever you want.

In both cases, I was able to install printer specific drivers during the
course of the printer creation. Luckily, I had downloaded (and
extracted) the postscript drivers prior to attempting the printer
creation. I selected 'Have Disk' and then found and selected the 'inf'
file to start the driver installation.

Then go into the printer setup section of your program, and set up the
printer as desired.

Enjoy

Along the way, I discovered that you MUST have a floppy disk in the
floppy drive BEFORE mounting it in Fedora, BEFORE the disk will be
recognized in the WIN guest. I also discovered that a USB key must be
mounted first under Fedora too.

Geoff