Broadcom BCM43XX Nightmarte on F11

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Jun 24 00:57:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 21:48 -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> 2009/6/23 Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200906 at gmail.com>:

> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> This worked like a champ. On both machines.
> >
> > I wonder, would this shell script to wget the binaries and then
> > b43-fwcutter them be the sort of thing that rpmfusion could package up?
> >
> > Having everybody navigate to a web page, figure out which of several
> > code snippets they need and and cut and paste them into a shell window,
> > sounds like the sort of thing that give linux its "user unfriendly"
> > label.
>
> Havn't seen this on Fedora packages, but on Debian non-free there's a
> packaged named flashplugin-nonfree, which has a script named
> /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree that downloads the flashplugin
> from the adobe site and installs it.
>
> Same thing could be done for b43 firmware.
>
> You could add a wissh to rpmfusion.

Are we sure they would take this on? They are already carrying the
Broadcom "official" drivers as the kmod-wl package set.

If they did, they would have to make the two mutually exclusive and
explain the difference between them because kmod-wl blacklists the other
F11 B43 drivers.

Still well worth asking the question though...

Cheers,

Chris

--
"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw