using a phone modem on F10 on a Thinkpad T61

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 20:52:12 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 6/24/09, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: using a phone modem on F10 on a Thinkpad T61
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 1:21 PM
>
> So, I know this is kind of ancient, but I am behind a phone
> line on a IBM Thinkpad T61 and was wondering if anyone could
> please help me with how to set it up for Fedora 10.
>
> Best,
>

> --

Trotter,

Please visit LinModems.org page:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

Download scanModem.gz

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

copy it to your home folder/directory

$ gunzip scanModem.gz
$ chmod +x scanModem
$ su -
passwd:
# ./scanModem

will run and write folder Modem/ with ModemData.txt please send it to me not list here(you can register at linmodems.org site and send to discuss at linmodems.org at your discretion), but I think I can help so please send it to me if you want.  I hope that the modem is not a difficult one and that we can help get you online with Fedora.  If it is a cell phone that you will use as a modem, then you may safely run from a terminal

$ su -
passwd:
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

and it will scan for modem ports and may find one like at /dev/ttyUSB0, or /dev/ttyACM0 or something related.  Then you may edit the /etc/wvdial.conf file as root add your username, password and ISP's phone number and get connected.

Hope this helps,

Antonio