F11 yum strange behaviour

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu Jun 25 04:11:41 UTC 2009

I just finished updating my f9 machine, and thought I'd check my F11
machine for updates.  It told me there were some, but then when I tried
to update them, it renigged on me?

> $ yum check-update
> Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, downloadonly, fastestmirror, merge-conf, refresh-packagekit
> adobe-linux-i386                                                                                                                       |  951 B     00:00
> updates/metalink                                                                                                                       | 4.5 kB     00:00
> updates                                                                                                                                | 4.4 kB     00:00
> updates/primary_db                                                                                                                     | 1.6 MB     00:01
>
> apr.i586                                                                         1.3.5-1.fc11                                                          updates
> apr-util.i586                                                                    1.3.7-1.fc11                                                          updates
> apr-util-ldap.i586                                                               1.3.7-1.fc11                                                          updates
> audit.i586                                                                       1.7.13-1.fc11                                                         updates
> audit-libs.i586                                                                  1.7.13-1.fc11                                                         updates
> audit-libs-python.i586                                                           1.7.13-1.fc11                                                         updates
> cpuspeed.i586                                                                    1:1.5-9.fc11                                                          updates
> gupnp-av.i586                                                                    0.4.1-1.fc11                                                          updates
> japanese-bitmap-fonts.noarch                                                     0.20080710-7.fc11                                                     updates
> kernel.i586                                                                      2.6.29.5-191.fc11                                                     updates
> kernel-firmware.noarch                                                           2.6.29.5-191.fc11                                                     updates
> kernel-headers.i586                                                              2.6.29.5-191.fc11                                                     updates
> libhangul.i586                                                                   0.0.9-1.fc11                                                          updates
> [...]

I thought that once yum found updates, it kept the updated metadata
around and kept trying other mirrors until it found the updates.  Why
did they disappear?  Why can't it find them now?  Is this a function of
the stablemirror plugin which I haven't installed on this machine yet?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net