Updates to F10 now put windows partition icons on desktop!

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 06:26:46 UTC 2009

Ian Chapman-2 wrote:

> On 25/06/09 05:37, Mike Cloaked wrote:
>> I just updated F10 tonight - and now when I log in I get a recovery
>> partition
>> icon and a windows OS partition on the gnome desktop - yuch.
>>
>> Anyone know how to turn this off?
>
> Are they actually being mounted, or is it just the icons? Do a df -h or
> a mount in a shell to see. If they are being mounted, it could be your
> policy settings.
>
> Open up "System -> Preferences -> Authorisations", why it's in this menu
> is beyond me.
>
> Have a look at "disks -> Mount a system internal device"
>
> Implicit Authorisations should read
>
> Anyone: No
> Console: No
> Active Console: Admin Authentication
>
> See if there's any entry in Explicit Authorisations for your user and if
> so remove it.
>

> If that makes no different, then it could be that the internal disks on
> your system are incorrectly being seen as external devices.
>
> Have a look at "Disks -> Mount a device"
>
> and set it to the same settings as above.

Thanks Ian - I will have to check later as I have a heavy work day today -
but prior to yesterday's updates no internal partition icons appeared on the
desktop in Gnome - immediately after the updates and rebooting to the new
kernel this was the unexpected behaviour.  I had not rebooted the machine
for about a month prior to last night so it is possible that this new
behaviour is due to some other updates that came in sometime during the past
month and not specifically one of those from last night.

Anyway I will check the authorisations and other settings tonight - but in
the meantime I wonder if anyone else is seeing the same behaviour?