F10 -> F11 X server problem with /dev/fb0

Peter J. Stieber developer at toyon.com
Fri Jun 26 00:17:20 UTC 2009

AF = Aldo Foot
AF> One way to troubleshoot is to create a
AF> new Xorg.conf and change the Driver line
AF> to "vesa".  You need to boot into runlevel 3,

I always have inittab setup to boot to run level 3, then type startx
after logging in.

AF> log in as root and do "Xorg -configure",
AF> which will create a new config file at
AF> /root/xorg.conf.new. To use it you'll
AF> have to move it to /etc/Xorg.conf.

I did this and I have attached the resulting xorg.conf file.

When I ran startx, it didn't work.  I've attached the xorg log file.

AF> In it find the Device block, like:
AF>
AF>   Section "Device"
AF>      Driver "vesa"
AF>   EndSection

I'll try this next.

AF> Note that there's no longer need for an Xorg.conf
AF> since support for video cards is now more
AF> extensive[1].

I didn't have one on this box.  I administer 16 different Fedora boxes
and none of them have an xorg.conf file.  12 of them run x86_64 qne the
rest run the appropriate 32-bit version of Fedora.  I don't use any
non-Fedora repos.  I tried preupgrade on one of the x86_64 boxes and it
didn't work, but fortunately F10 still worked.

For the machine I'm discussing in this thread, I use the F11 x86_64
network install CD to upgrade the system.  Obviously the xdriver update
is causing me problems.

The rest are still running F10.  The others have ATI graphics card so I
probably will not run into the same problems.

AF> I have an nvidia card in my 32bit system and
AF> never had issues, but everyone's setup
AF> is different.  Try the Xorg archives[2] and
AF> mine for info there.
AF>
AF> [1] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f11/en-US/
AF> [2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/
AF>
AF> good luck,