Warning against preupgrade

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jun 26 00:23:14 UTC 2009

David writes:

> On 6/25/2009 6:11 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Alan Cox writes:

>>> 2 out of 5 ? - I got 3 out of 4 fails including hitting error paths that
>>> clearly were not tested because the error printing code didn't work but
>>> spewed python traces - and yes its in bugzilla already.
>>
>> By the time I'm done, I expect 5 for 5 failures (so far, I'm 2 out of
>> 2). Starting with F9, Anaconda reliably failed to install grub for me,
>> on every one of my machines, despite that they're all different. Some
>> have one IDE hard drive, others use softraid on top of a pair of SCSI
>> drives. Some are i386, others x86_64. There is no common denominator
>> that I can see.
>>
>> So far, now with F11, on the first two machines, Anaconda keeps failing
>> to install Grub, so I have to do it. I have no reason to believe that
>> the remaining three won't be any different.
>
> Say this again please? "By the time I'm done, I expect 5 for 5
> failures".

Right.

>            Are you crazy.

I'm pretty sure I'm not.

>                           "By the time I'm done, I expect 5 for 5
> failures". The odds sux!

Yes, but I'm not playing the roulette.

> How many failures would expect from clean, fresh installs?

Dunno -- haven't done fresh installs in a long time.

> Would a "clean, fresh install" and then have to reconfigure
> 'something/any/many things, be a disaster?

Yes -- since I'd lose all the data I've accumulated, over the years.

>                                             As opposed to an "By the time
> I'm done, I expect 5 for 5 failures" upgrade followed by a "clean, fresh
> install?", as opposed to a fresh install to begin with first, and a
> re-configure after?

It's not too bad. Although, as I've said, Anaconda barfs when trying to
install grub, I've now gotten the routine down pat. Takes only a minute or
two, to fix it up. Much easier than wiping and doing a fresh install.