Some issues in F11

David dgboles at comcast.net
Fri Jun 26 10:05:47 UTC 2009

On 6/25/2009 8:47 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 07:09:55 -0500
> Bradley wrote:
>
>> - Upon installation, the system was unable to determine what type of
>> monitor was available and doesn't give me the option to manually select
>> the monitor's type or capabilities.
>
> You can do a "yum install system-config-display" and get back
> the X config app they removed from the standard distro because
> X is now perfect and never makes any mistakes :-).

Let's see now. The system 'asks' each device "What are you?" And each
device, in turn, answers "I am 'this'". So the system assigns the proper
configurations and other items for the device.

When the system asks *your* monitor "What are you?" it answers "I am
stupid. I don't know what I am". The system thinks well you *have to be
something* or the system can't work so I will assign 'something' that
will at least work. And the Luser, being smarter than this stupid
monitor, can at least use this sytem to set the configurations for this
stupid monitor.

Hmm...  Yep. You're right Xorg made a mistake.  :-)

--

  David