Is there a Wall message for GNOME or KDE

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat Jun 27 01:48:34 UTC 2009

I just used `shutdown -h +6 The system is going down now, please
logoff.` as root, in a terminal window. It prints the message in the
terminal window every minute, along with its own default message. But it
will not cause a Gnome window to open up with the message.

I discovered that even if you close the terminal window, the shutdown
will still take place at the scheduled time.

Bob