Non-root USB-mount: How to?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jun 28 15:17:50 UTC 2009

Hiisi wrote:
> Dear Fedora-Folks!
> I have FC11 system, running in a text mode most of the time. I would
> like to mount USB-flash under ordinary user (not root only). Here is my
> /etc/fstab:
> #
> # /etc/fstab
> # Created by anaconda on Sun Jun 14 21:32:42 2009
> #
> # Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
> # See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or vol_id(8) for more
> info
> #
> UUID=783c1044-238d-4ce7-adef-11f71fdc8abf /boot                   ext3
> defaults        1 2
> /dev/mapper/vg_imt-lv_root /                       ext4    defaults 1 1
> /dev/mapper/vg_imt-LogVol03 /var                    ext4    defaults 1 2
> /dev/mapper/vg_imt-LogVol02 /home                   ext4    defaults 1 2
> /dev/mapper/vg_imt-lv_swap swap                    swap    defaults 0 0
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults 0 0
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  defaults 0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults 0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults 0 0
> /dev/sdb1        /media/fl        auto user,noauto    0 0
> /dev/sdc1        /media/fl1        auto user,nouato    0 0
>
> I added last two lines for the task. But it doesn't work properly. I
> have 2 USB-disks. One of them is an old 126 MB Transcend drive, vfat
> type. I can mount it from non-root account simply typing 'mount
> /media/fl', when it is plugged into /dev/sdb1. But I can't mount it to
> the second USB-port (/dev/sdc1). If I try 'mount /media/fl1' I have the
> following error:
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
>       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>       dmesg | tail  or so
> The other USB-drive is 2 GB Kingston, vfat either. I can mount it from
> root account using mount /dev/sdc1 /media/fl1. But have the above error
> when trying to mount it under non-root account. What the deal? Could
> anybody help me? Thanks in advance.

You can try running gnome-mount to mount as a user.

To make your fstab entries work, you will need to give your
partitions a uuid, and use the uuid in fstab. You would replace
/dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 with something like:

UUID=87eedd14-6bf2-4e7a-a4d9-fe23dd6f021c

Your uuid would be different, but that gives you the idea.

Mikkel