State of sound in Linux not so sorry after all

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jun 29 18:42:28 UTC 2009

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Valent
> Turkovic<valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is copy/paste of article "State of sound in Linux not so sorry after all" found at http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2009/06/state-of-sound-in-linux-not-so-sorry.html It is really interesting article, and comments are also really insightful. *** About two years
>
> Uff, now I see that Lennart Poettering, Pulse Audio Guru, has already
> answered about this post on PA mailing list, sorry ;)

I think "Pulse Audio Guru" is a symptom of the problem as users see it. We don't
*want* to be gurus, or more to the point don't want to *need* to be a guru to
use sound. End users should *not* have to load one or two non-default "advanced
mixers" just to turn up the volume of their speakers high enough to hear. They
should not be fiddling with the pulse/alsa/advanced controls trying to find some
combination which works for input. Inserting modules with options should not be
the way you select audio options.

Under RH8 users could use audacity or the 'rec' part of sox to take sound from
mic or line input, set the sample rates, and write a wav file. Under F11 I have
yet (four systems) to find any one which will do that, with any mix of
interacting controls, with any application including the "sound recorder"
installed by default.

Clearly in the rush to add fancy features for audiophiles the usability of sound
  has been devalued. Google for "sound problems + fedora" and the volume of
results for recent versions should convince you that there is a usability
problem. Sound should "just work" for the typical user, and the people who want
to do complex things should be using not complex controls, not people who just
want to hear sound.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>