Rough Fedora 11 Install, still not working

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Tue Jun 30 05:29:32 UTC 2009

"David Highley wrote:"

> "Amadeus W.M. wrote:"
> >
> > > After the raid controller verifies the DMI pool it stops, ie. I do not
> > > see the grub menus. I booted into rescue mode and the file systems
> > > appears to be good. I did a complete reinstall again and have the same
> > > results.
> > >

> > You did make the /boot partition ext3, not ext4, right?
>
> It is ext3, I did not change the partitioning.
>

> > I have this: a non raid disk and two mirrored disks controlled by an LSI
> > MegaRaid card. The system is on the non raid disk and I'm able to boot. If
> > I wanted to boot off of the raid array I believe I had to tell the raid
> > controller to make the array bootable (I believe). Not sure 100% because
> > I'm booting off of the non raid disk so I didn't pay much attention, I
> > just remember seeing that in the controller bios. Do you have to do that
> > on the 3Ware?
>
> No, 3Ware does not have a setting for this.
>

> > If you have a spare disk, you may want to connect it to the motherboard,
> > install the system, or at least the /boot partition (as ext3) on that disk
> > and boot.

Finally solved this issue. It turns out that the onboard raid controller
for the EVGA motherboard is 3Ware. So in the BIOS it has a setting for
hard disk order and the choices for order were SCSI 3Ware and add on
card. Since my raid controller card is 3Ware I had SCSI 3Ware as the
first one in the list. Switching the order allowed it to boot up.
Interesting that the list implies order but it never went the second
item in the list and nothing is connected to the motherboard except an
ESATA port that had nothing connected.

In the boot order section of the BIOS it allowed me to pick multiple DVD
drives so I'm confused as usual by the thinking that is not consistent
with how they deal with boot devices.