Problems with network install on Fedora 11

Bruno Rebeschini brebesch at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 30 12:06:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have 2 computers: one desktop (Dell Optiplex GX270) with Fedora 11
installed and one laptop (Toshiba Satellite 2180CDT: AMDK6-2 (i586), 192 MB
RAM, 4GB HDD) on which I would like to install Fedora 11.

As the laptop cannot used DVDs, I attempted to perform an installation
through the network via HTTP in different ways but failed each time:

...to boot the laptop, I used:
 - the boot.iso image available in the /images directory of the DVD burned
on a CD
 - vmlinuz and initrd.img available on the boot.iso image, copied to the
laptop's hard disk with GRUB reconfigured

...I referred to method=http://... with:
 - the DVD mounted on my desktop and made available with Apache
 - content of the DVD copied on my desktop and made available with Apache
 - a mirror available on the net

...every time, the download starts and retrieves the install.img image on
the network and then shows the error message "Unable to retrieve the install
image".

I start to wonder if there's something wrong with the boot.iso image. Can
someone please help and put me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Bruno