Xorg high cpu usage after upgrade to Fedora 11

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 30 08:45:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 09:18 +0200, Fau wrote:
> 2009/6/29 Steven Stern <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com>
>
>         Fau wrote:
>         > Greetings,
>         > i've just upgraded my laptop from Fedora 10 to 11 using
>         "preupgrade" script.
>         > The upgrade went fine, no problems at all, but now there is
>         the process Xorg
>         > stucked at 20% of CPU and growing, the OS is really slow and
>         even fluxbox
>         > is not responsive, not to mention Firefox or Thunderbird.
>         > I've got a SiS315 video adapter and up to Fedora 10 it
>         always
>         > worked. I'm seding in attachment my /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
>         > /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>         > Thank you in andvance for any help,
>         > best regards,
>         > -
>         > Fabio
>         >

>         FYI, I've run into something similar with the radeon and
>         neauveau
>         drivers, so I think it's Xorg rather than the drivers.
>
> I'm trying the vanilla kernel 2.6.30 and it seems that something
> changed,
> Xorg still has high peaks (60%) while doing nothing but it never goes
> under 9%
> instead 20%
> I hope this will be fixed in next update of Xorg.
> Thank you for you reply,
> best regards,

Something is inconsistent inn what you say. On my machine I am running
the Xorg from: xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.6.1.901-1.fc11.i586

The program does not take more than 1% of CPU time and most of the time
it is at .7%. Why are your values so different?

Now I installed F11 from the DVD.

Mark's Dental-Chair Discovery: Dentists are incapable of asking
questions that require a simple yes or no answer.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net