Security Cameras

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Tue Jun 30 13:57:22 UTC 2009

On 06/30/2009 09:41 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> This may be a little off topic so please forgive me.
>
> I purchased a Security Camera in order to do some experiments. I have a
> WCS-2060 IP CamSecure made bywww.level1.com.  I am suspicious that os
> of the camera is linux based, but there software is primarily made to
> communicate with MS Windows machines.
>
> Are any of you using any linux based opensource software to monitor
> security cameras and their output.  What kind of linux options do we
> have?

I use motion (http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome),
which is in the repos.

You can use it with common IP cameras like those from Axis, or with
analog cameras + a video capture card.

Some IP cameras may be incompatible, depending how tightly the
manufacturer has tied the camera to the normally-supplied Windows software.

- Mike