F11 - X forwarding display problem

John tuxfed at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 03:06:58 UTC 2009

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 05/31/2009 11:53 AM, John wrote:
>>
>> [john at LT-02 ~]$ ssh -v LT-01 -X
>> debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
>> [john at LT-01 ~]$ ls -lZ $XAUTHORITY
>> drwxrwxr-x. john john unconfined_u:object_r:user_home_t:s0 bin
>
> It looks like XAUTHORITY isn't set, which means that you probably
> don't have "xauth" in your path (it's probably not installed).
> Install xorg-x11-xauth, and then log in again.  On your next login,
> sshd should create the XAUTHORITY file.
>
> Having said that, if xauth is missing, you should see an error stating
> that in the output of "ssh -v", which you don't.  That's very odd.
> I'm fairly certain that the problem is the missing XAUTHORITY
> variable, I'm just not sure why it's missing.
>
> If xauth is present, try creating a new user on the system, and see if
> you have the same problem when you log in to that account.

xorg-x11-xauth was already installed. I created a new user and tried to
login. Here is the output:

  [john at LT-02 ~]$ ssh -X tom at lt-01
  tom at lt-01's password:
  /usr/bin/xauth:  creating new authority file /home/tom/.Xauthority
  [tom at LT-01 ~]$ gedit

  (gedit:2969): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0
  [tom at LT-01 ~]$