ipv6 question

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200906 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:55:30 UTC 2009

Michael Casey <michaelcasey73 at gmail.com> writes:
> So, could it be reality, that the "next-generation" Linux Distro's e.g.:
> iptables will Default not ACCEPT, rather then this:
> --------------------
> iptables -P INPUT DROP
> iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
> iptables -P FORWARD DROP
> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>
> + allow ICMP on INPUT because I heard/read that IPv6 relies more on ICMP
> --------------------
>
> it could make a "good standard firewall" (?FIXME) - if anyone puts any
> server service, than he must know that he must change the INPUT XYZ

This is what f11 does:

/etc/sysconfig/ip6tables:
# Firewall configuration written by system-config-firewall
# Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p ipv6-icmp -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp6-adm-prohibited
-A FORWARD -j REJECT --reject-with icmp6-adm-prohibited
COMMIT

It looks good to me, including the newer wording in
system-config-firewall around icmp and ipv6-icmp which discourages
clueless admins from blocking icmp's and gumming up the works.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11