update to F11 with yum

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jun 1 16:29:38 UTC 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>David wrote:
>>> Is there a way I can try to upgrade now to what will be F11 or do I
>>> have to wait another week?
>>
>> Use preupgrade. Works like a charm.
>>
>> How to use PreUpgrade
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade
>>
>> This will take a while. A long while.
>
>Assuming you have to check the "Display unstable test releases"
>and then choose Rawhide,
>why not say this?

And it should pointed out that if this is not checked, you have a blank list,
it is NOT possible to select from an uptodate F8 to F10.  That sucks.

Whats the deal in forcing everybody into rawhide when there is a show topper
bug extant and holding up the F11 release?

That smacks of a rather massive insult to those of us who just want to use the
machine.  It better work or there will be YAKubuntuI before the day is out.
All I wanted to do was add fmit to its (F8 on a HP dv5120us) repertoire.  But
F8 doesn't have libasound which the fmit build needs.  This F10 built it ok,
and fmit itself hasn't been touched since F6 days, so why can't an F8 install
build it?

>It may be obvious to you,
>but would not be to many Fedora users.

Yeah, obviously getting rawhide shoved down our throats. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Forest fires cause Smokey Bears.